Saturday, November 30, 2013


The topic for my Family Relations class has been Sexual Intimacy and Family Life. In this chapter we discussed keeping marriage safe against violation, and teaching children about sexuality. The topic did not seem new to me because I have seen my parents use guard rails to protect their marriage. One particular example was when I was maybe eight or nine, and my family had eaten dinner with the sister missionaries. Afterwards my Dad asked me to come in the car to give them a ride home. I was confused, but I agreed. My Dad later told me that it was a general rule for my parents to not ride alone in the car with someone of the opposite gender. Little rules can make a big difference in marriage. In my class we also discussed the importance of teaching children. I think it would be more difficult to learn about sexuality on the school bus rather than at home. We discussed the benefits of talking to kids earlier rather than later, and being open so kids can feel comfortable asking questions.

1 comment:

  1. I think that guarding against infidelity or "affair proofing" your marriages is a vital component of successful marriages. I really appreciated the personal connection you made and I too feel that the rule that your parents set for themselves is a great way to guard against potentially problematic situations. What do you believe are some of the best ways in which we can "affair proof our marriages? I also believe that teaching children about proper sexual intimacy is key. What do you believe is an appropriate age to begin to teach children?

    ReplyDelete